Search This Blog

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Odd Day

Today was such an odd day for me.

We went to breakfast at Mary Mary's in Spanaway, its our favorite breakfast spot and we talked about kids and adoption through most of the time we were there. What TV shows and cartoons we would like them to watch, which ones we don't, and which ones were our favorites when we kids. Good thing we have NetFlix! First DVD's to be ordered once we have children "Mr. Ed" from 1961. Neither of us were alive or even thought of yet in 1961 but we both agree that its a great show. We also talked about the violence in TV and cartoons, but thinking back to the Coyote and Road Runner.....well there isn't really a way to avoid it, but we plan to keep it to a minimum.

I went and got my nails and while I was there a Mom and her two daughters came in to get their nails all together and all I could think about was how much fun that would be fore me, expensive but fun. My mind even started to wonder off to the rules that I would need to set down for that, things like "no acrylics till your in high school" and that they would need to choose between pedicures or manicures when we went in but unless it was a special occasion they cant have both. I even thought about what Paul and his son could do while we were getting our nails done, maybe go to an arcade, go to Game Stop to pick out a new video game and other such things. A little fantasizing about what having children in our lives would be like in that moment. Even when the youngest of the two girls that were getting their nails started to cry because she wanted flowers pained on her nails (which would be an extra $10) I could hear myself saying things to our child in that situation to calm the issue and resolve it with out giving in.

After my nails were done I went to the Dollar Tree to get a few things. I love shopping there. Yes, some of the stuff is crap and some of the stuff I really love. I wondered through the craft section, as usual, and I came across some neat craft kits that I would love to do with a child. For a moment I started to smile and I nearly picked up some of them but I resisted (its way to early in the process to do that) and I went on to looking at books. Most of the books in the store are religious, puzzle books, coloring books or other kids stuff, but this time they had all sorts of parenting books. That's when I nearly burst into tears. I know how strange that must sound but I did. I was feeling very sad that we hadn't finished all of the classes and everything last year when we tried to start them. If we had finished then we could already have children and the woman in the nail shop could have been me. Ah! Waiting for the classes to start and to get everything going sucks!

On my way I home I noticed that the STP (Seattle to Portland bike ride) was today, as I nearly got run over by what seemed like 500 bikes at once. It took 10 minuets to pull out of the parking lot. My Dad rode in the STP a few years ago and that inspired me to call him when I got home. We talked about his new Droid phone and about adoption. I know my Dad thinks that we are nuts in wanting to adopt a sibling group of 2-4 children all at once but I know that is what will be right for us. Once our classes and homestudy and everything are complete, its not like they are going to knock on the door and drop of 4 kids. We will get to meet them and spend time with them and get to know them a bit first. I know that going from 0-4 possible children in the house may seem a little extreme to some people but you have to remember that we are only going to do this once and we know that we want more than one child. Ideally we want two, a boy and a girl, but the more I look at photo listing the more I really want three but four seems to be to much. We will have to wait and see because I can tell you now that if we find the two perfect kids and find out that they have two siblings, well then we will want all four unless there is a really really good reason that they shouldn't all be together.

So its been an emotional day, full of ups and downs. I even flipped through some of the application that we received in the mail. That makes me really nervous not that I fear that we will give bad answers but that our spelling and grammar and legibility will all be proper as its all done by hand and my writing can be very hard to read and Paul's spelling is worse than mine. But we will concur that in time. For the rest of the night I am going to sit here and sip some wine while watching Paul play a video game and petting the dog. Or, maybe I will visit a specific photo listing of some kids that are in the foster system and waiting to adopted, they have been there for a while and I know that this website is updated often. I haven't shown Paul this photo listing yet, I don't want to get any hopes up and I know that he's not really ready to look yet as we are not ready to have kids in our home just yet.... (speaking of our home, I bought box tape at the store today, you know for moving boxes, going to start packing soon)

Photobucket

The photo is of us from the 4th of July, we ended up going to the Freedom Fair after all. It was fun and we both got sunburned!

No comments:

Post a Comment