Search This Blog

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Today is the first day of our classes!

Last night I was super super sick. It started at work, I threw up once and then started feeling better, that is until we had dinner. After dinner I started having chills, sweating and my whole body hurt. I was terrified that I would feel like that this morning too. So I went to bed. I piled on the blankets and buried my head in them hoping for some sort of relief. A few hours later we were woken up by a super loud argument going on out side that felt like it lasted for hours, and I felt even worse. Then, after hours and hours of sleep (I went to bed around 6pm and got up at 5:30am, which is sleeping in for me) my alarm clock went off and I got up. I still have a headache and my back hurts (due to my bed) but I don't feel sick any more!!

This week went by so slow for me, knowing that the classes start today, but we are finally here. I talked to someone from the NWAE.org the other day and got some interesting information about what they do and how it all works, and that has me even more excited. There are kids on their site that I really like and that I want to meet. I haven't told Paul too much about them because he doesn't like to see something, get excited about it and then have it not work out. Until we get our classes done and the homestudy done there really isn't any reason to get to involved in looking at kids. The NWAE really makes it very easy and they are very helpful. They, like everyone else, did tell me about how its harder to adopt through foster care directly than it is to go through an agency. Although I do understand why they are saying that, its way cheaper (as in free) to adopt through the state and since I already have my eye on a set of kids that are on the NWAE website, that cuts out some of the hard stuff.

Yes, I am sure that it might be easier to hand over a wad of money to an agency and tell them to find you kids with certain qualities and let them match you up, but it makes much more sense to me to do this our way. We would rather save that wad of money to spend on kids and I would rather find them myself. As I learned from my Dad a long time ago, the easy way is not always the right way and many times is the wrong way. While looking through the children that are posted on sites like NWAE.org I try very hard to not look at their disabilities and things (should they have any) and try to focus on who they are. Doing it that way makes much more sense to me, after all, if I were pregnant, would we reject our child due to a disability. Of course at the same time I know that I will not take on a child with disabilities that I wouldn't know how to handle since we are adopting older children, its not as though we would have them since birth and been able to adjust slowly to something. The kids that I have my eye on do not have any disabilities that I have read about, but they do have some emotional issues, after going through what they have been through and living in foster care and what not, I expect that any child we adopt will have emotional issues.

Ok, that's all for now, I am off to start getting ready to go!!

(Did I mention that we got a new couch! Its blue leather! And it was free!!)

2 comments:

  1. I think it is awesome you are adopting through the NWAE program. Many years ago my now ex husband and I had discussed adoption through this program along with our local DHS office.

    I am adopted. By my father. My mother is obviously my mother. My father raised me as his own, however, he also abused me until I was 12. I found out I was adopted when I was 26 (I am 36 now) and shortly after I found my real father he said he could not tell his family about me like he thought he could. We have not spoke since.

    Now here it is 10 years later and I now live in the same state. I know I have a brother and sister and every day I think about them.

    Since I was about 9 or 10 I knew I wanted to adopt. As you can see, was not until later in life I felt the reason why.

    I still want to adopt. Now that I am getting older in age it is going to be harder for me to have my own. Adoption is always an option for me.

    I will be following your blog and your progress! Good luck to you and Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The people at NWAE have been great to talk to and full of knowledge. Their goal is help kids who are able to be adopted find adoptive homes, so they only work with kids who's parental rights have been terminated. It makes it very easy for us and they partner with more than just our state so that's even better.

    I had no idea you were adopted, well step-parent adopted. That must have been a real shock. We have decided that we will be open about our children being adopted with our children in the case that we adopted a toddler or infant in the process. Although our goal is young but school aged children.

    I bet you would make a great Mom!

    ReplyDelete