Search This Blog

Saturday, August 6, 2011

First Class!

Our first class is over! There were a few things that were said in the class that didn't make sense at first but were cleared up and were actually just the way I thought they were. Which means that all of my research is paying off and that I really do know what we are getting into. I get nervous about that some times, wondering if I really know what we are doing, its always good to know that I do.

We met some interesting people, some I would like to get to know more and some that I would rather pretend don't exist. I had a rather irritating encounter with a woman in the class, she is a teacher and we clash severely. We were separated from our spouses into groups to do a group activity. She instantly desired that she was the group leader and that myself and two Hispanic women that I was sitting between were not really to be treated as part of the group and our thoughts didn't matter. It was very much as though she didn't like us because we were different than her and she was only interested in hearing from others in our group that were like her. I stood up behind her (she was seated) and tried to make sure that she had it clear that I wanted to be heard, she decided to argue my points and refused to write my opinions, or the opinions of the other two women. Rather than make a huge fuss on the first day of class I sat back down between the two other women and chit chatted with them while "teacher" wrote her thoughts on the paper and the other three women nodded like good sheep in agreement. I hope I don't get stuck in a group with her again.

Aside from the one incident the class was good and I look forward to next week and to not being sick through the whole class. We are going to learn some great tools and we have some great teachers.

Things I want to learn more about: RAD, trauma parenting..... Time to visit the library!

2 comments:

  1. eh...people...some people arent worth the time.

    I spent a lot of time on adoption.org if you have not been there, you might find it useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been on adoption.org a lot and there is a ton of good information there but not all of the people there are that great. Most of them that I have talked to that use the forums don't seem to understand that we have no interest in using an agency or adopting babies, but they do seem to be very interested in telling me horror stories and about how hard it is. I keep trying to tell them that I know its not easy and that I know it will be the hardest thing that we ever do but some people are really stuck in the negative.

    ReplyDelete